Longfellow Elementary School was built in 1905 for $50,000. The first classes began in the fall of 1906. Grades 1-8 were served in the three-level building. Class sizes ranged from 39 students in the 2/3 combination classroom to 60 students in the 8th grade. The school's custodian lived at Longfellow. Trolley cars ran down Ninth Street during the day, bells clanging as they went.
A multipurpose room was added to the school grounds in 1970. It is used for physical education, lunch, and other school and community activities. In 1976 the District purchased land south of the school and with some help from the PTA were able to have the city close off Ada Street so the school could have a continuous playground.